The participation of leading foreign experts in the International Jury was a great opportunity to reflect Czech dance scene. The end of the platform saw giving out the awards, which caused an intense discussion among Czech and foreign experts.
The International Jury eventually decided to give out the award for the Dance Production of the Year and the Surprise of the Year to the performance of SOMA #8 by choreographer and dancer Martin Talaga. It is a dance essay focused on a male body, which serves as material to create bizarre shapes. They are not autotelic, rather exploratory, and they are fascinated by their absurdity. The jury appreciated novelty and quality of the work as a whole as well as performances of all three dancers.
It was similar with the performance of The Narrator by Spitfire Company. The complexity of the work and interpretation quality brought appreciation to French performer Cécile da Costa in the award of the Dancer of 2018.
“We really appreciate the fact that important personalities accepted our invitation to the international jury as its members were genuinely intriguing. Programmers from Vienna and Bratislava, the director of Tanz im August from Berlin, EDN president from Portugal and the dance house director from Montréal, Canada – it was a great company to our five experts for the discussion of various opinions,” says Yvona Kreuzmannová, the founder of the platform and director of Dance Prague.
- Guy Cools (BE/AT) – dance critic, curator and programmer
- Francine Gagné (CA) – managing and artistic director of Circuit-Est Centre Chorégraphique Montréal
- Maja Hriešik (SK) – director and programmer
- Pia Krämer (PT) – O Espaço do Tempo / EDN president (European Dancehouse Network)
- Virve Sutinen (FI) – Tanz im August artistic director
Czech members of the International Jury:
- Petra Hauerová – choreographer, dancer and dance teacher
- Yvona Kreuzmannová – founder and director of Dance Prague
- Martin Macháček – editor of the online Dance Zone
- Markéta Perroud – art co-director of Dance Prague
- Nina Vangeli – dance critic
The jury of the Light Design Award:
- Amálie Bulandrová - scenographer
- Lukas Noll (DE) – scenographer, light designer
- Martin Špetlík – light designer
The jury of the Manager of the Year / Jiří Opěla Award:
- Jiří Opěla – initiator of the award, producer
- Karolína Hejnová – the winner of 2016, danceWatch manager, programmer of the ALTA Studio
- Jan Malík – dancer, teacher, producer
- Dance Production of the Year 2018: Martin Talaga: SOMA#8
- Dancer of the Year 2018: Cécile da Costa / Spitfire Company: The Narrator
- Light Design Award 2018: Jiří Šmirk / Spitfire Company: The Narrator
- Manager of the Year / Jiří Opěla Award 2018: Lucia Kašiarová / Studio ALTA